Monday, February 4, 2008

Died and gone to heaven brownies

You won't believe how wonderfully tasty they are. They are super rich but are great with ice cream and sprinkles. (This is probably why I haven't lost all of my baby weight)

Melt 1 cube of butter
Mix 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder into butter
In separate bowl mix :
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
Add butter and cocoa to mixture and add 1 tsp vanilla
Beat until smooth
Pour into a 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350 for 25 minutes

Amazingly good frosting
melt 1/4 cup butter, add:
3 Tbsp. milk
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Do not put frosting on until brownies are cool.

*I usually double the brownie recipe to make a 13x9 pan but do not double the frosting recipe. It is good for the 9x9 and the 13x9. (I don't know how that works it just does. We had a disaster when we doubled the frosting.

They are also good if you add a layer of mint between the brownie and the frosting.

Mint layer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 Tbsp water
1/4 tsp mint
3 drops green food coloring

Beat until smooth and refridgerate until set before you put frostin on top.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Are these the BYU brownies???

Melissa Nielsen said...

No, they are the BYUI brownies. Actually I don't know. I got the recipe from a roommate of mine several years ago because we would make them once a week or so. (No wonder I gained weight that semester.) What are the BYU brownies?

Chrissy said...

Well I'd prefer not to call them the BYUP brownies, but they are unbelievable. I will find the recipe and if it's different, I will post it. XOXO